Sunday, December 30, 2007

1450 Miles later

I did soooo much driving this past week. Well if you think about it I really only did the most of the driving on three days.

I left Long Beach, CA and headed off for Las Vegas, NV early Saturday morning. I left the apartment a little after 5am and got to Vegas with out much trouble. The only person there in Vegas is my mom. My brother, his family, my dad, and youngest brother were over at my Grandmama's. Well, by brother and his family were spending Christmas Eve with his In-laws.

Well, on the day after Christmas I left Vegas and headed up to my Grandmama's (central California) only the main highway that goes through the mountains and into the Central Valley was closed because of "extreme winds." Well that's a huge bitch! The only other ways that I knew about added at least 200 miles to the trip. The good thing is that I had my lil GPS dealy with me. I left Vegas about 11am, I wanted to leave earlier it just didn't work out. I ended up having to trun around 3 times because of road closers. Two times because of the extreme winds and the last because of the Red and blue lights on top of the CHP car. That last one made me back track about 20 miles. This is 20 miles in mountain roads, that I was soon to find out had some black ice on them. That wasted about 40 minutes of driving.

Good news is that I did make it to my Grandmama's house. It took me 10 hours of driving. The Day before this (on Christmas day) my brother, and everyone else, made the drive from my Grandmama's to Las Vegas in 5 and a half hours.

Yesterday I left My Grandmama's to come back to Long Beach. I left her house a little after 10am. Now this time I planned on taking the long way as I am tired of always going over the grapevine. So I ended up taking Highway 58 west (I know most if not all of y'all don't know it). Highway 58 East would take me back to Vegas, it was the highway that was closed while driving back from Vegas. Well I made a map so you could just look at what I did. The route in red is the route that I took. As you can see, it's the long way. The whole trip was over 400 miles. If I would have taken the short route it is about 250 miles. The part there in light blue is what I was going to plan on taking, but it was dark and I was tired of driving so I just stuck to the main freeways.



And now some pictures, well all that I took, of my drive back. Most of them are views from Highway 58. The pictures from along the coast were taken while driving on the Pacific Coast Highway. Yes, by the time I made it back to my apartment I had drivin just about 1450 miles.

3 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

That's alotta drivin'!! Nice pics, too. Although I was a little disappointed that I didn't see any hot rods on those CA roads... :(

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you would have had more fun if you had someone else with you... like ME :D

whimsical brainpan said...

Beautiful pics!

That's a lot of miles you put in this holiday.

Have a Happy New Year!

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks