Monday, September 01, 2008

Life as a Refugee

Well I made it up to Memphis, TN yesterday.

1:00 am -- Left my apartment
2:00 pm -- Checked into the hotel room.

The first 200 miles took just about 6 hours. It wasn't to bad until I got on the I-55 north. Then it was just stopped. I got on the 55 at 2:30ish and when the sun came up it was. I never seen so many cars on the road at one time.

I also got a few minutes of nap, if you can even call it that.

By the time I got to sleep, some time after 8 o'clock, I have been awake for more than 24 hours.

When I got to Memphis I going one of those books at the visitors center I got one of those books that have a list of all the hotels in it. Out of the 17 hotels that I called only 2 had rooms. I was happy when I found the first one I looked at the listing and it was listed at a budget hotel. Humm. The place was in downtown Memphis, so I thought that even if it wasn't that good that I'd still be able to walk to a place. Well it's in old downtown, not the new and hip part. The first thought I had was "woah." It was just a total dive of a "budget" motel. When I pulled in to park, I was asked if I was parking or staying by some kid. I said I was just going to park for a few minutes. Then he said that he was going to need $5 from me. I told him to go fuck him self and that I was going to leave (ok I didn't really say it like that). Then a little older kid asked me if I was going to stay at the motel. I said yes. He said that I didn't have to pay then.

So after I parked there the first thing I did was start calling for another place to stay. I wasn't going to come all the way out here and then stay in a dive. I started making more phone calls. After calling 5 or 6 other places I got this one. It's not bad. The place is right on the University of Memphis campus. In fact I had a hard time finding it, it looks like all the other building on campus.

Yesterday I had three things on my list that needed to get one.

1) Food
1) Beer
1) Sleep

I had no clue who to put them in order, so I had to make them all number 1s. I ended up eating at UBess. It was good, I just never thought I'd be the only person (other than staff) in a resturant at 5:30ish. Today I went to Huey's and had an awesome hamburger. It was great. Only they didn't have the sound on for the football game. So yeah had to get back to my room and watch Fresno State win!!!!!

p.s. I just LOVE this city ;)

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

Huey burger sounds good!

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks